Privacy of personal information is a priority at Alavida Health Ltd. (“Alavida”). We are committed to collecting, using and disclosing Personal Information responsibly and only to the extent necessary for the goods and services we provide. We strive to provide quality care and we collect, use, retain, and dispose of your personal information in compliance with federal and provincial privacy legislation and applicable professional regulations.
We will be as open and transparent as possible about the way we handle your personal information. Alavida provides certain management and administrative services to various professional entities and Alavida itself does not provide professional medical services. Alavida offers online and in-person services enabling clients to report their health history, learn about their health and engage licensed physicians, licensed therapists or other healthcare professionals (“Care Team”) to obtain medical and healthcare services (the “Services”). All staff members who come in contact with your Personal Information have signed a confidentiality form and are aware of the sensitive nature of the information that you have disclosed to us. They are trained in the appropriate use and protection of your information.
Alavida ensures that only necessary information is collected about you. We only share your information with your consent or as otherwise required or permitted by law. Storage, retention, and destruction of your Personal Information comply with existing provincial and federal legislation, and privacy protection protocols.
WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
“Personal Information” is information about identifiable individuals. Alavida collects the following types of Personal Information for the purposes described below:
- Biographical information personal characteristics (e.g., name, gender, age, home address, and telephone number).
- Health status (e.g., health history, health conditions, health services received by them).
- Mental health status (e.g., diagnosis, treatment history).
- Treatment provision (e.g., documentation related to services rendered).
- Follow-up care (e.g., contact information provided for the purposes of treatment follow-up).
- Payment and financial information, including insurance policy information.
For information on how we treat Personal Health Information or medical records, and on your rights with regards to this information, read our Notice of Privacy Practice here.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
Alavida collects Personal Information from users who visit our website and hire our Services. In particular, we collect Personal Information in the following ways:
- When an individual contacts us through our Website.
- When an individual has an initial consultation.
- When an individual visits the offices or communicates with our healthcare providers.
- From other healthcare providers, as necessary to provide treatment.
WHY WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION: PRIMARY PURPOSES:
We collect, use and disclose Personal Information in order to serve our clients. The primary purpose for collecting Personal Information is to provide services. We also collect Personal Information to obtain a baseline of information so we can identify changes that occur over time. The most common examples of our primary purposes for collecting Personal Information are as follows:
- To obtain a baseline of information so we can identify changes that occur over time.
- To assess your health concerns, advise you of options, and provide quality healthcare.
- To establish and maintain contact with you.
- To invoice clients for goods or services, to process credit card payments, or to collect unpaid accounts as well as process payments, including from third-party insurers.
- To communicate with other treating healthcare providers, where required, including your family doctor or referring physician.
WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION RELATED TO SECONDARY PURPOSES
Like most organizations, we also collect, use and disclose information for secondary purposes, including:
- Client file review for the purpose of ensuring high-quality services, including assessing the performance of our staff for continuing quality improvement.
- Processing third-party payments (e.g., when a private insurance provider is reimbursing the costs of services provided to Clients). In these cases, third-party payers have the client’s consent or legislative authority to direct us to collect and disclose to them certain information in order to demonstrate client entitlement to this funding.
- Research and development purposes, in which case the information collected is de-identified and no longer capable of identifying you, as well as aggregated meaning it does not personally identify you, but instead shows general trends, for example, the number of users of our Services, as well as for commercial use in order to enhance and expand upon our Services.
COOKIES AND USAGE DATA
Alavida may also collect certain information from users of the Website, such as Internet addresses, time spent logged into the Services and other usage data. This information is logged to help diagnose technical problems, and to administer our Website and Services in order to constantly improve the quality of the Services. Alavida uses the usage data that we collect to provide the Services and to continuously improve the Services.
PROTECTING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We understand the importance of protecting Personal Information. For that reason, we have taken the following steps:
- All employees and subcontractors are required to sign a confidentiality agreement.
- All files are secured with physical safeguards (such as locked file cabinets, monitored alarm system) in a restricted area that is not accessible to the general public or patients/clients and access restricted to authorized staff.
- All computers and other electronic devices used to access personal information password-protected for specific users with appropriate level of security.
- Electronic software is compliant with industry standards.
- Patient Personal Information, including personal health information, is stored and accessed in the patient’s local jurisdiction.
- Data storage servers, including back-up and disaster recovery servers are located within the client’s local jurisdiction
- Paper information is transmitted through sealed, addressed envelopes or boxes by reputable companies.
- External consultants and agencies with access to personal information must enter into privacy agreements with us.
LIMITS OF CONFIDENTIALITY
Information that is discussed is confidential between the client and the health provider, and is not shared without the client’s written permission except under the following circumstances as required under law:
- If the client is judged to be at serious risk of doing significant harm to himself or herself, or to someone else.
- If the client reports information indicating that a vulnerable person is in need of protection (e.g., a child or elderly person being abused).
- If the client holds a driver’s license and is not safe to be operating a motor vehicle.
- If the treatment records are subpoenaed by a court of law.
RETENTION AND DESTRUCTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We need to retain personal information for some time to ensure that we can answer any question the client may have about the services provided and for our own accountability to external regulatory bodies. We keep our clients’ files for ten years according to regulations set forth by professional licensing bodies. We destroy paper files containing personal information by shredding. We destroy electronic information by deleting it and, when the hardware is discarded, we ensure that the hard drive is physically destroyed.
STORAGE LOCATION AND TRANSFER OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Alavida stores Personal Information of registered users (patients) in the user’s local jurisdiction. However, any information voluntarily provided to Alavida over the website, such as through our contact forms, by a non-registered user will be stored in the United States. By submitting information, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing of your Personal Information in the U.S. You acknowledge and agree that your Personal Information may be accessible to law enforcement and governmental agencies in those countries under lawful access regimes or court order.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES
We may from time to time employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share client Personal Information with them to provide our services to you and improve our services. Unless we tell you differently, such third parties do not have any right to use the Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us. This includes third party companies and individuals employed by us to facilitate our services, including the provision of maintenance services, database management and general improvement of the Services, and businesses who engage our Services (to the extent provided for above).
If we (or substantially all of our assets) are acquired, or if we go out of business, enter bankruptcy, or go through some other change of control, Personal Information may be made available or otherwise transferred to the new controlling entity, where permitted under applicable law.
If we need to use or disclose any Personal Information in a way not identified in this Privacy Statement, we will notify you and/or obtain your express consent as required under applicable privacy laws.
ACCESS, CORRECTION AND ACCURACY
You have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you in order to verify the Personal Information we have collected in respect to you and to have a general account of our uses of that information. Upon receipt of your written request, we will provide you with a copy of your Personal Information, although in certain limited circumstances, and as permitted under law, we may not be able to make all relevant information available to you, such as where that information also pertains to another user. In such circumstances we will provide reasons for the denial to you upon request. We will endeavor to deal with all requests for access and modifications in a timely manner.
We will make every reasonable effort to keep your Personal Information accurate and up to date, and we will provide you with mechanisms to update, correct, delete or add to your Personal Information as appropriate. As appropriate, this amended Personal Information will be transmitted to those parties to which we are permitted to disclose your information. Having accurate Personal Information about you enables us to give you the best possible service.
Attn: Privacy Officer
Alavida Health Ltd.
422 Richards St, Suite 170
V6B 2Z4 Canada